Dating over 50 år Frederikssund dating akademiker Ringkøbing-Skjern

In Erik Pontoppidan's Danske Atlas (Danish Atlas) it was described as "after Copenhagen, the best and most prosperous market town in Denmark".

The distance to Copenhagen is 412 kilometres (256 mi). Aalborg's position at the narrowest point on the Limfjord made it an important harbour during the Middle Ages, and later a large industrial centre.

Architecturally, the city is known for its half-timbered mansions built by its prosperous merchants.

A major exporter of grain, cement, and spirits, its thriving business interests include Siemens Wind Power, Aalborg Industries, and Aalborg Portland.

These companies have become global producers of wind turbine rotors, marine boilers and cement.

Trænregimentet, the Danish regiment for army supply and emergency medical personnel, is also in Aalborg.

Aalborg University Hospital, the largest in the north of Jutland, was founded in 1881.

Its prosperity increased when the merchant- and trade association Guds Legems Laug was established in 1481, facilitating trade with the Hanseatic League, The king frequently visited the town, where he held court and stayed in the old Aalborghus.

The herring fishery linked Aalborg to the East coast of England, across the North Sea, both in commercial competition and cultural exchange.

The first mention of Aalborg under its original name Alabu or Alabur is found on coins from c.

1040, the period when King Harthacnut (Hardeknud) settled in the area. 1075, Adam of Bremen reported that Alaburg, as he called it in German, was an important harbour for ships sailing to Norway.

The privileges were extended by Eric of Pomerania in 1430 and by Christopher of Bavaria in 1441.

Tags: , ,